I Need To Tell My Story by Avantika

Introduction 

“When are you going to write my book?” The flippant way Sara spoke made me wonder if she was joking and I laughed in reply. But she was persistent and several days later, I received an email from her. This time, she wrote, ‘You know, I’ve done some crazy things in my life.’ It piqued my interest and I agreed to meet her to discuss all the work she would need to do. Also, by then, she’d changed her mind and decided that she would write the story herself. After a few false starts, I decided to guide Sara through the entire process of working on her story.

I took notes as we went through the entire process. When it was over, I compiled all my notes and wrote a series of articles about all I had shared with her and what she had learnt. These are the articles which I will now share with you.

There are ten articles altogether. Published on a weekly basis, they will, effectively, tell of Sara’s journey to completing her story. We start with vital preparation that all writers make to ensure that the process of writing your story remains and adventure and doesn’t become a tedious task. With the help of some soul searching, you will understand why you’re writing this story at all. Once you know the difference between an autobiography, a biography, memoir and fiction, you’ll be in a better position to understand the kind of story you’d like to write. Then, it’s full steam ahead with the writing process and, by the end of the series, you should have a fully developed story.

At the end of each article, there is a part called ‘Two Snakes Whistling at the Same Time’. While this is a story I’ve written, it’s still Sara’s story and will be a practical way of showing you how to apply the information I’m sharing in each article.

The ideas I share here are not a definitive guide as the information isn’t static and there’s an interactive element to these articles. You are encouraged to share your experiences or even ask questions. The aim is to generate a dynamic discussion so that we can learn from each other. If you have any questions, please email me at editor@howtotellagreatstory.com and I’ll be happy to help.



***

Aneeta Sundararaj tells the stories of a diverse group of people from cardiologists and Ayurveda practitioners to independent financial advisors. ‘Two Snakes Whistling at the Same Time’ is included in a collection of stories that she is working on. Subscribe to the free newsletter on her website, ‘How to Tell a Great Story’ (http://www.howtotellagreatstory.com).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bleeding Again

Surgery On My Baby

Compression Garments