Hospitalisation - Admittance For A Month

Middle of June 2018 to Middle of July 2018

My eyes could not believe what I just saw. Panic starting to stir. Patrick's weight dropped from 5.3kg to 5.14kg within a few days. He was 7 months plus during that period.

Suddenly he became more fussy. He preferred breast milk. Sometimes he would reject formula milk. The intervals between feeding time can be worrisome. He would only express his hunger every 5-6 hours later after his initial feed. It was more ideal to feed every two to three hours. He sometimes rejects solid foods as well. As a baby, he did not appear to have much of an appetite.

Behaviour wise, he did not appear to be getting weak. He still gave us his cheeky smiles. Chuckling. He still wants us to hold him so that he could attempt to stand. He appeared more interested on play rather than eating.

His next medical appointment would be in two weeks' or so from now. Based upon his loss in weight, I did not think we can afford to wait until he lose even more weight.

The original idea with the doctor was that if by next month's appointment, Patrick's weight is still considered as unfavourable, he is to be hospitalised with continuous night feeding attached to a machine. We did not like the idea, yet if that can assist him in gaining weight, that's one option we needed to take seriously. 

His alarming drop in weight made the decision for us. My husband made the arrangements with the doctor to admit Patrick. In a few days' time, mother and son were admitted to the hospital.

Patrick realised that he was at the hospital. I am not sure how he knew. Was it the atmosphere of the hospital? Was it the uniforms that the doctors and nurses wore? What had alerted him that he was in the hospital, I did not know. He kept rejecting doctors and nurses when they came near him. Yet they must check his body temperature and blood pressure. The doctor must check whether his stomach has ascites; fluids in the stomach. 

The more they inspect him, the more he cried. It was like a continuous stream of thunderstorms, growing louder and louder inside the hospital room. I could not comfort him while he was in that state.
Crying Patrick
I kept telling Patrick, "Don't be scared. Mummy is here with you. You are not alone. I promise you, I will be with you all the way in the hospital. It will be a short time, Patrick. Short time in the hospital. Believe mummy. Trust mummy. Mummy always be with you."

His teary eyes and upside down trembling lips stared at me.

My heart was broken seeing him in this state. He must not over-think. I need to be cheerful for him. I need to make him think it is not something to be fearful of.

Continuously, I talked to him. I smiled to him. I sang to him. Again and again until his body becoming more relaxed. His face less tensed. He finally gave me a small smile for my efforts.

I knew he wanted to go back home. Not back in the hospital again. 

Dr. Ng have dropped into our room and observed his stools. From his observation, it was not yet in the range of normal colour but it is a good colour. 

Baby stool chart
He suggested that we stay in the hospital for a week first. If necessary would extend Patrick's stay in the hospital. It was important to observe on Patrick's progress. The most important target was for Patrick to gain a sufficient level of weight. That he reached to a level of stability before he can be discharged.

My son, I do not know how long we need to be here. I promise you that I will be with you all the way, even during fearful moments.

You can count on me, Patrick.

You are not alone in facing this. Never.

You are loved. You are supported. You shall be encouraged. When you don't feel strong, I shall be strong for you.


Mummy and son climbing mountain after mountain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bleeding Again

Surgery On My Baby

Compression Garments