Conclusion: Taking and Orwellian Leap by Avantika

We have come to the end of this series of articles on ‘I Need to Tell My Story’. You now have all the tools that you need to tell a story. You know what you need to do before you write the first word. You understand the difference between a biography, an autobiography, a memoir and fiction. You are aware of how to plan your story so that it flows from start to end and has all the elements in place to make it fantastic. I have no doubt that you’re all set to go.

There is, however, one last part of the writing process I would like to share. It is a set of rules I learnt from an essay called ‘Politics and the English Language’ by George Orwell. I have summarised some of the most important points in his essay. Orwell starts with: ‘[Words like democracy] are often used in a consciously dishonest way. That is, the person who uses them has his own private definition, but allows his hearer to think he means something quite different. Statements like … The Soviet press is the freest in the world … are almost always made with intent to deceive.’

Next, Orwell writes that a scrupulous writer will always ask himself the following questions:

  1. What am I trying to say?
  2. What words will express it?
  3. What image or idiom will make it clearer?
  4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?
  5. Could I make it shorter?
  6. Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?


The next thing to remember is if you can get one person to read your story, you will certainly get many others to read it as well. That one person doesn’t need to be someone else. It should be you. Trust me, if you like reading your story, others will as well.

All this will, of course, take effort. You need to practice this skill. For some of you, it’ll come fast; for others it will take time. However long you take, go now and start telling your story and make me proud.

Wait! Before you go, I would love to know how you think Sara is going to exact her revenge. Please share those details in the box below.

Also, feel free to share the stories that you plan to write. If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Good luck and I look forward to reading your tales.

***
Sources:
Orwell, George. Politics and the English Language. [http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/]

***

Aneeta Sundararaj tells the stories of a diverse group of people from cardiologists and Ayurveda practitioners to independent financial advisors. ‘Two Snakes Whistling at the Same Time’ is included in a collection of stories that she is working on. Subscribe to the free newsletter on her website, ‘How to Tell a Great Story’. (http://www.howtotellagreatstory.com).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bleeding Again

Surgery On My Baby

Compression Garments